Saturday, September 19, 2015

Equipped to Invest: Embracing Our Role In Kingdom Expansion

Have you ever stopped to think about the story in Luke 21 about the woman who gave all she had to the Lord?  The woman, who only gave two small coins, yet was esteemed above those who gave several out of their wealth?

If all she had was two small coins, why would she give them both to the Lord?  What would she have to live from if that truly was all she had?  She could’ve just said “Lord, next time I have extra, I’ll give double.” The Lord knew her heart, and I’m sure He would’ve understood that she was willing, but in order to survive she had to withhold her offering for the time being.  However, she didn’t.  She was obedient to do as He asked of her.

How often do we withhold from the Lord what He has asked of us?  How many times have we been tight financially, and as the offering bucket passes by at church we inwardly tell God “next time”?  Though the intent of our heart may be pure, it is so easy for “next time” to turn into another “next time” as bills are unending, coffee and lunch dates unplanned, and one significant purchase turns into the next.  How many times do we hear stories of missionaries doing God’s work both in our own cities and around the world, and our hearts burn with a desire to do something?  Yet, when the pledge cards are handed out, again we tell the Lord “next time,” waiting until a more ‘opportune’ time in our life when we are financially in a better place.

I think if we are all honest with ourselves, we’ve all been there.  I’ve been there.  More times than I’d like to admit.

I get that we can’t support everyone and every cause, however we each have a part to play in expanding the Kingdom of God on this earth.

My heart is for missions.  For as long as I can remember I’ve had a desire to do something that would allow me to tell people about Jesus for a living.  From wanting to be a Children’s Pastor, to a ‘famous’ singer, to leading short-term mission trips, my heart was always the same.  I want everyone to know about how much Jesus loves them.  I want them to experience the joy of a personal relationship with Him.  I want to see captives free, blind eyes open, lame walk, deaf ears hear, hearts transformed, and in turn, I want to see those very people begin to take the Love of Christ everywhere they go, so that their circle of influence would be touched for Jesus.

However, currently, God has me in a different path in life.  One that at times I’ve struggled with as I’ve yearned to be doing ‘more’ for His purposes.  I sit in an office every weekday, doing something I enjoy, but I’m not on the frontlines of ministry like I imagined over the years.  Yet, God’s been showing me that my place is vital to expanding His work around the world. 

You see, I may not be on the frontlines, but God has strategically handed me resources that are necessary to equip the frontline workers to be effective in the purposes God has for them.

As Christians, we have the resource of prayer.  Prayer is an essential resource for the spiritual battle we all face.  It is necessary for us to lift ministries and ministers of the Gospel up in prayer because the enemy will try to bring discouragement and attacks in various forms as he does not want to see the Gospel spread as lives are transformed for Jesus.

Another resource we have is finances.  It may be one dollar.  It may be one hundred.  Each one has been given something, so what are we going to do with that resource?  Years ago God began to show me the importance of giving now, instead of waiting for a better time in my life. 

Throughout my teenage years, I had always desired to have a sponsor child, but between being in high school or university, without a steady income and tuition and bills to pay, I didn’t ever feel like I was in a place where I had the confidence that I would be able to sponsor a child long term.  So, year after year, I would tell God that when I was done school and had a permanent job I would.  However, one day God spoke to me so clearly and I realized that there never will be an opportune financial time in my life because once tuition was paid, there would be a mortgage, a wedding, children, new vehicles…one major expense after the next.  I would never be without something to put my money towards.  If I would ever invest into another life for Kingdom purposes, now was the best time to start…because a life I can support today means one more life changed forever.  If I held off, my little sponsor child may have had another sponsor, but two things would’ve occurred in the process.  The first is that only one life would be touched instead of two.  The second is that I would’ve missed out on God’s blessing that comes in walking in obedience.

1 Corinthians 8:3-4 talks about the giving of the Macedonian church and Paul says "For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints."  Wow.  The Macedonian church got it.  When we give of what we have to a ministry or a missionary, we are partnering with them as they expand the Kingdom of God.  They need us, but we also need them.  Later on in 1 Corinthians 8:14, it says "At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need..." We all need one another to effectively spread the good news about the saving power and grace of Jesus Christ.  We can't do it alone.  

I've been challenged recently to be intentional about the resources God has provided to me, so that I can invest it into the work He is doing around the world.  I may sit in an office five days a week, but as I invest in the missions work, and missionaries that I know, my time sitting in an office chair is not wasted.  Work is being done.  The love of Jesus is being spread.  Lives are being transformed.  Captives are being freed, blind eyes are seeing, the lame are walking, deaf ears are being opened, hearts are being transformed, and lives will never be the same.  

Just as I've been challenged, I challenge you.  Ask God what your part is in expanding His Kingdom.  Maybe it's being on the frontline.  Maybe it's spending time in prayer for a specific ministry or person you know.  Maybe it's giving of your finances so that someone you know can operate in the full time ministry God has called them too.  Whatever it is, God has a part for you to play.  We can't do this alone.  None of us can.  We need one another as we each do our part in the Body of Christ.   


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Blue Sky' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP