The Most Important Thing (Part 2)
I've finally had time to sit down to finish part 2 of "The Most Important Thing." If you haven't read part 1 yet, you can find it here.
While on my holiday, God began to speak to me about some of the questions I've recently had. For the first time it became so clear to me that one of the reasons why people have chosen to go the way of the world, despite knowing the truth of God's word, is because of a lack of relationship.
As I pondered the concept of relationships, I began to think about earthly relationships and compare them with what God desires of us.
I think most would agree with me that in order to build a solid relationship it is necessary to spend time with one another. It's in times that you talk, hang out, and enjoy one another's company that you really get to know someone. In my experience, and I'm sure others can relate, I've found that it is difficult to build or grow a friendship by talking to someone once every few months only for a couple minutes. In those cases, the relationship maintains an 'acquaintance' classification, and rarely will that relationship form into a strong friendship.
If this is the case with earthly relationships, why do we expect our relationship with God to be any different? Why do we expect to grow in our walk with Him if all we do is go to church once a week, and that's only when we aren't too busy to go. We may say the odd prayer before our meals so that we feel as though we did our Christian duty. Why do we focus so much time and attention on getting to know people around us and rarely spend time getting to know the very One who created us?
This is the revelation I began to see as I was seeking God as to why so many people know about Him, but aren't living for Him.
It's like having an acquaintance. I may know who someone is, and I might know a few details about their personality or character, but when it comes to their heart, I don't really know them. God used this analogy to show me that in society today so many people have this type of acquaintance relationship with Him. So many know about Him, but they don't KNOW Him.
I hope my explanation makes sense. It was a huge revelation to me when this all started coming together for me.
So, if we want to grow in our walk with God we need to spend time with Him, building our relationship with Him. We need to spend time in prayer, talking to Him. We need to take time to read our Bible, learning about His character. We need to spend time listening for His voice. We need to spend time with other Christians, being encouraged in love.
As we spend time building our relationship with Jesus, and encouraging others to do the same, I believe God will be faithful and we will see a change in the relational apathy I've seen around me. As each Christian chooses to grow in their relationship with God, the casualties in the church will decrease.
The most important thing on the earth, which is the very purpose we were created for, is to lift up the name of Jesus and see lives transformed by His saving power. This will only happen as we have relationship with Jesus and then show others how they can as well.

0 comments:
Post a Comment