Revealing Truth, Exposing Lies
Every year as the new year approaches, I ask the Lord for a word or theme to bring into the next year. The theme God has given me for 2016 is different than prior years in that He took what He was teaching me through a difficult season of life and shaped it into five words for me to believe for this year: Revealing truth and exposing lies.
I'm beginning to see that this isn't a word that is solely for me, but rather it is His heart for His people.
The end of 2015 left me with an identity crisis. I knew who God created me to be, but I lost all ability to function in who I am. I second guessed absolutely everything I did in how I related to others. I shut down, I quit communicating, I avoided situations I once felt comfortable in. I felt like being who God designed me to be wasn't 'good enough'. I felt like an annoyance and a burden to those around me. I was trapped because I knew what God has called me to do and who He wants me to be, but I couldn't shake the thoughts plaguing me that told me that it just wasn't enough. Lies.
This struggle isn't unique to me. God has opened my eyes recently to see that this struggle is plaguing so many. It's a tactic of the enemy to undermine our ability to walk freely in the plan of Christ for our lives. The approach he uses may be different, but the method is the same...attack their identity...attack their thoughts...so that they no longer have the confidence to rise high as the Sons and Daughters of God Almighty that they are. This is a massive problem that must be addressed, and it's why I feel that God is calling us, His body, to be intentional about seeking the Lord to reveal truth and expose lies.
As I've walked through this journey over the past while, God has been so faithful to teach me more about who He is. I've learned how important it is to continually keep my eyes on Jesus and when waves of thoughts begin to take me in a downward spiral of negativity, there is incredible power in choosing to worship Him instead. He's been faithful to constantly remind me to choose love and forgiveness, despite not knowing what or who the source of the pain was. He's encouraged me in the moments where I have felt so frustrated in how long the healing process of this journey is, and He's reminded me that in the baby steps, He is building a solid foundation that can't be shaken the same when the enemy tries the same tactic in my life again.
Just as the Lord has been faithful to reveal to me the uniqueness of who I am and how He designed and created me exactly the way He wanted me to be...perfectly because He can only create perfectly, He is faithful to us all. Not one is forgotten.
The enemy would try to take us off course by seeking to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10), and he does so by lying to us. However, Jesus came to give us abundantly full life and that directly combats the enemy as He speaks and reveals His truth to us. The truth about how He loves us and created us. The truth about how we are created in His image. The truth that we are His sons and daughters. And ultimately, the truth that He has already won the victory and all glory belongs to Him!
And, here's a secret God has shared with me in the process (one that puts a massive smile on my face and quenches my desire for revenge): By attacking us with lies, the enemy thinks he's winning, HOWEVER, as we counter his tactics with the truth of Christ, his plan actually backfires on him because as we walk in Truth testimony is written. And testimony touches even more lives for the Kingdom of God than if we hadn't gone through the fire! How awesome is that!!! So, the next time the enemy tries to throw a lie at you, laugh in his face as you fix your eyes upon Jesus and know that by choosing truth, God is writing a testimony upon your life that will impact others around you for the rest of your life!
Finally, to close, I'll leave you with a scene description from The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2 as it is a clear picture of what I just shared: *Spoiler alert for those who have not watched it
Background: Peeta had been tortured in the Capital and as a result his mind had been programmed to believe things about Katniss that were not true. Fast forward to when he arrives to be part of Katniss's army unit.
So, Peeta shows up and all he wants to do is kill Katniss, because that's what's been programmed into his mind as he believes she is responsible for so many terrible things that have happened. But, as Katniss chooses to take night watch, Peeta begins to open up. He tells her how there are so many things in his mind that aren't clear and he doesn't know what is real or not. He begins to ask her a series of questions and after each one he asks "True or not true?" To which Katniss responds. As Peeta begins to have a clearer understanding of what is true of Katniss, and also of him, the bitterness, anger, and hatred he has for her dissolves with each truth that is exposed. Ultimately the barrier is completely broken down and there is a mutual trust that bonds them once again.
As I thought about this when I woke up this morning, I thought how that is such an incredible picture of the power of truth. See, when we are living in a haze of lies, it's hard in our own strength to distinguish between what is real and what isn't. We need to be like Peeta and be willing to admit we are in a haze and ask God to reveal to us who we are, who He is, and who the people around us are. We need to be vulnerable. As we are, and as God shows us the truth piece by piece, the barriers holding us back from being fully alive in Christ begin to break down and we will be free to boldly live out the life He purposed for us. There will also be freedom in relationships with others because we will see them for who God created them to be...no more lies. Just truth. And that terrifies the enemy because we are an army for Christ. So, stand firm and keep your eyes upon Jesus!

0 comments:
Post a Comment