Decisions, Decisions...
Life is full of many decisions. One of the first major decisions we're faced with is the answer to the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
We hear it over and over again in our pre-teen-teen years. When we hit grade 10-12 we're expected to somehow know the exact course of action we are going to take for the next 10-15 years! It's huge!
I don't know about you, but I've always struggled with that. I mean, when I was 16 there was no way I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I was just trying to get through high school and still be on the honor roll with distinction!
Once I finished high school, I decided to go to the Intense Discipleship school my dad was about to start at our church. I did that for two years, but once that was over I knew I had to go to university.
University was something I didn't ever want to do. I guess it's because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and there was no way I wanted to spend thousands of dollars on something I wasn't sure I wanted to do.
After ID, I applied into the Bachelor of Tourism Management (BTM) at TRU. I did that for a year, but found it wasn't what I expected to be, and quite frankly I didn't enjoy it. When the move came up, I thought I'd just try to transfer what I took last year in the BTM and put it towards a International Business degree at the university here. International Business seemed like a better option than Tourism, as I figured I could use it towards a sponsorship project I hope to do one day.
BUT, I hit delay after delay. I applied once the move was official, so sometime in mid May. I found out that my high school transcripts that I had sent all over Canada in grade 12 (which I thought were kept at each university for 5 years... It turns out UofR only keeps them for 1...) needed to be resent. So, I sent it in the middle of June. Well, something happened there, and once again I faced a major delay. My transcripts didn't get here until the very end of July! I called the university a few times, and each time I was told they hadn't even begun to look at my application. It was frustrating to say the least, but little did I know that it would take me on a whole new journey...
On the trip here I had hours and hours to think. I began to wonder what I'd do if I wasn't accepted. At the time I had no clue. The longer I had to wait, the harder I thought. At first I just planned on working this fall, and going into something in January.
But, then I was hit with other difficulties, such as limited January intakes, and education fund issues. So, as much as I began to realize that I was no longer interested in taking International Business, it was looking more and more like I would have to.
I didn't know what to do. So, I prayed and asked God if I should go into International Business if I was accepted, or if I was to do something else...
It turned out I did get accepted, (I found out the day before school started! Talk about leaving it to the last minute!!) but as I was looking through the courses and preparing to register my mom suggested I see if there were any openings in a new area I was now leaning towards...Science and Nursing!
That led me to make my final decision... I would not be going into International Business... I would be taking my first year in the Bachelor of Science program through Athabasca University with a major of Human Science!
I have made decision that I would like to be a NICU nurse and work with premature babies! Never in my wildest dreams would I ever had considered anything to do with nursing, but now that I look back on the past 3 years of my life I see how God has been gently leading me in that area, through the many, many blogs I've read about preemies in the NICU.
I've always loved babies and children, yet I don't want to be a teacher or work in a daycare. The more I thought about working in the NICU the more intrigued I became. As much as it will be a tough job, it will be very rewarding! It will be neat to be able to watch the babies who are so tiny and helpless grow bigger and stronger every day! I am also so excited to be in a place where I will witness God working miracles in the lives of little ones who doctors say can't be helped! It's happened many times before, and I can't wait to be able to experience that all firsthand and give all glory and honor to Jesus! I just think that as tough as the job will be, the rewards will be much greater!
So, I'm taking sciences this year, with the hope that I'll make it into the Nursing program back home next fall! I am so excited about this new direction my life is taking! It feels good to finally have a path to go on and not walk blindly in the dark! It may have taken me a few extra years to figure this out, but I'm glad it's now and not never!
If I learned one thing from the past few months of ups and downs when it came to schooling, it's this:
God uses different things in our lives to prepare us for the future. Sometimes it seems like we are hit with so many delays and distractions that it can be discouraging, but if we open up our lives to hear what He has to say, not what we want Him to say, He will be faithful. And, like the old saying says, when God closes a door, He opens a window!
Wow, that was a long description of my new schooling endeavors! If you read through it all, I'm very impressed! I hope I didn't ramble too much, and if I did I'm not sorry at all...I'm just really excited! :)

2 comments:
I found that God is very good at opening doors and closing other ones. Trust the process. God has much planned for you and He will light the path, even if it is only one step at a time. Trust Him.
Sorry I haven't read the expanded version until today. So glad you have made this decision. Like I said before I think it will be a great career for you. As far as the education part, I hope you enjoy the journey as much as you will the destination. Love you, Gramps
Post a Comment