Friday, September 17, 2010

Seasons of Life

It's "that" season of life. 
Every female should know the one.  The one you dreamed of when you were young...

The season of  your wedding, or in my case, my friends' weddings... 

If any of you were anything like I was when I was young you can relate.  My friends and I used to dream of when we were older.  We would imagine our wedding day and try to picture every detail.  We were pretty good at it too!  It was all in our heads, except the most important part...the actual image of our prince charming!  We imagined elaborate weddings.  Long flowing wedding dresses.  Huge bridal parties.  Bridges and confetti.  Waterfalls and guests by the hundreds.  We always told each other "you'll be my maid of honor/bridesmaid."  We were so excited we couldn't wait for the day when we'd finally be planning our own weddings! 

Well, years have gone by since I was that age dreaming about my wedding with my friends.  In those years though, the unimaginable took place.  My close friends have slowly all drifted away. 

I remember being so young and naive - There was absolutely no way my friends and I would ever drift apart.  Even though I moved away from some of them when I was 12, we kept in touch, and they were always considered my closest friends. 

But, eventually the replies stopped coming, and I slowly stopped sending such frequent letters.  I tried to still keep in touch, but it seemed as though life for my friends had moved on.  All the things my friends and I imagined over the years slowly faded from my memory... until this past week when I found out one of my best friends from when I was younger is engaged!  In that moment I realized the sad reality that life offers. 

My once upon a time best friend is engaged, and I have no clue who she was dating and is now engaged to.  I didn't find out from her, but from someone else on facebook.  And now the dreams we dreamed together about being in each others weddings have crashed to the ground when I realized there's most likely no way I'll even be considered to be invited to the wedding, let alone be in it! 

People always told me that your best friends you have when you are young will not usually be your best friends when you get older.  I didn't believe them, but guess what...they were right!  My childhood friends still mean allot to me, but we are not as close as we once were! 

And now we're in that season of life where weddings are beginning to occur. (There's been around 10 weddings involving people I know this summer, and now with my friend's engagement, that just adds one more to the list!!)

I'm happy for everyone I know who's recently got married, or who recently's been engaged...yet it's bittersweet as well...everyone's getting engaged/married and I'm no where near it. :(

Oh well, this is not a pity party for me...it's remembering where life was, and where it's going!  It's remembering the seasons I've been through and the seasons that are coming. 

And for those of you like me still waiting for your prince charming to either come along or stop hiding in the shadows...our time is on it's way.  It's closer than we think...or so I like to say :) 

2 comments:

Anonymous

Your prince charming will appear one day. Just sit back and let it happen. Love Gramps

Casslyn

People these days are getting married way too young. You have loooots of time. (do as I say not as I do?!)

<3 Casslyn

  © Blogger template 'Blue Sky' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP