Sunday, March 13, 2011

When Disappointments Come, Open Your Eyes...

Sometimes I wish I was still little...living in Calgary, enjoying my time with my friends there...

This is a thought I mentioned to my dad this past weekend.  On Wednesday I found out my friend Karissa's university hockey team had made it to the CIS National Championships for the first time in their history.  The championship started on Thursday and ended today.  I usually am not much of a sports fan, but for friends, I'll do anything to cheer them on!! 

Watching Karissa's first game on Friday brought back lots of memories of when she was in Ringette, and then when she was first starting out with hockey.  I remember going to her games as often as I could so I could cheer her on.  I didn't know much about what was going on with the game, but I'd do anything to show my support...  I really miss those days...before life became complicated...  But, back to the game...

I texted Karissa on Friday and she made a comment that she "finally turned me into a hockey fan" and that "now [her] life is complete!"  Haha!  It brought a smile to my face.  All week I had been trying to see some sort of reason why I "had" to stay home this week instead of going to visit Kim in NY.  Last week when I was feeling upset about not going, my mom said maybe something was going to happen this week that I needed to be here for.  I was doubtful, but I tried to keep my eyes open for something the entire week...until Friday.  All of a sudden it hit me.  I had to stay home for this championship.  Not so I could watch it...but so I could show my support of Karissa.  So I could show her I care about her. 

You see, if I had gone to NY, I wouldn't have known about the championships (HER TEAM WON BRONZE BY THE WAY!!  I am so proud of them!!), and I wouldn't have found out I could watch it online, and I also wouldn't have been able to show her my support...

I still wish I could have gone to NY to see Kim...but at the same time I am seeing more and more how God kept me here for a reason.  It's been a cry of my heart to be there for Karissa...and in a way I was this weekend.  I was thinking yesterday and I realized something extremely important.  If something would happen to me, or to Kim, or if Jesus were to come back right now, I know where I'd be...I know where Kim would be.  BUT, on the other hand if something were to happen to Karissa...I don't know where she would be...and that breaks me inside.  So, for me to take this "God-moment" this weekend and be there for Karissa, I'm seeing how it was more important to eternity than me being in NY with Kim. 

All this reminds me of a verse I read this week "We can make our plans, but the final outcome is in God's hands." (Proverbs 16:1 TLB)  Now that I look at it again, it was Friday's verse on my daily verse calender...Friday was the day of Karissa's first game...crazy how God works!!

When things don't work out the way we want them to, I think it is important to look at it through God's view... Like this week...I didn't get to go away...something I was very disappointed about, but God knew better.  He knew I needed to be there for Karissa this week...to shine His light into her life.  If you are facing any disappointments, try to look for something God might be doing through it.  Maybe He is going to do something beyond your imagination...something that will impact eternity...

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Blue Sky' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP