Peace
June 15, 2008.
It was Father's Day.
It is a day that I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.
I woke up like any other Sunday and got ready to go to the church to help out with Kidz Rock. It was a routine type of day. I tried not to think about the fact that my Great Grandpa Sigglekow was terminally ill with only days left to live. I tried to believe that all would be okay.
I went into the "Keep" and began to set up for worship. The worship leader, and great friend Dan got there only minutes after me and began to set up. He asked if I would co-lead with him that day. I hadn't co-lead with him before. I was nervous, but I said I would. He went to get his guitar...
My dad came up the stairs, came to me, and told me Great Grandpa was gone. I couldn't believe it. That was it. He was gone. The Great Grandpa I knew the best was gone. The Great Grandpa who I have so many good memories of was in heaven. I didn't get to say goodbye...
Dan came upstairs. Tears were filling my eyes. I told him I couldn't lead anymore. In fact, I didn't know how I would get through the day. I tried to be strong, but it hurt so bad. Dan asked me what was wrong. So I told him...
The first thing he did was come over to me, put his arm around my shoulder, and prayed for God's peace to rest upon me. It was thoughtful. But it was exactly what Dan would do. Looking back on that moment I realize the importance of his prayer. You see, many people found out that my Great Grandpa had died. Nobody seemed to care. It felt as though people figured my Great Grandpa had lived a good long life, which he did, but they didn't seem to care about the hurt the family felt. We missed him. We still miss him. We will always miss him. Out of everyone who found out what had taken place, Dan was the only one who showed genuine care and compassion. It meant more to me that he will ever know. In fact, I believe that prayer was what got me through the days that followed.
Later on in the day Dan asked me how I was doing, and I had to rack my brain to try to figure out why he would ask that...then I remembered Great Grandpa was gone. Dan's prayer for peace was answered in an instant, and God filled me with so much peace. More than I've ever felt.
To most this story may seem insignificant, but to me it meant everything. God brings people into our lives who will be by our side through thick and thin. There have been many moments in life where I have felt alone, but when I need someone to be there God is always faithful to bring that friend into my life. I am so grateful for everyone God has placed into my life in each season I've gone through. Most of the people in my life will never fully comprehend the value they have in my life or the joy memories like the one I wrote about bring to me. You all mean more to me than I could ever say!
*By the way, I'm thinking about starting doing "Friends and Family Friday" themed posts. I may have to do it more than just on Fridays because I have so many friends and family to write about, but I think it's time to start...it's time to honour my friends and family!

0 comments:
Post a Comment